Sunday, September 28, 2008

Debbie's with her dad Ken. Some of my favorite memories that I will always treasure are of walking on the beach with my dad. When I was little he would be such a great sport to go into the COLD water with me. I loved running into the waves. I say "loved" because at my age now I am happy to stay out of the numbing cold water and enjoy walking beside the waves not in them.

My mom Marlene and I love sitting and watching the waves. I have fun memories of my mom and I cheering if we found that our motel was close enough to any beach we visited so we could hear the ocean waves. Sometimes I think I should have been born closer to a beach than Utah. We sure love the ocean.
Terry talked Eric, Drew, Chris and I into taking a 5 mile hike into the Big Tree State park so we could see Aquizzes Tree the biggest tree in the US. I didn't want to leave my parents sitting in the car that long and it was getting late so I used a bit of nervous energy to walk very fast. Eric, Drew and Chris really didn't want to hike again but they were such great sports so they came with us and ran with Debbie. Terry did not want to hurry. He wanted to stop enough to take readings on his hand held GPS devise and read his little tour book about each of the trees. We kept running so Terry grumbled and kept his book in his back pack and we made the 5 mile hike in 70 minutes. The tree was awesome. Eric said that in 5 years when we look back at the pictures we will probably all agree that the hike was worth it. We grumbled a bit at Terry but it was cool to see the biggest tree and get this photo. The Drew, Chris and Eric were really great sports. They didn't complain about being squished in the back of the van with stuff all around their feet, or about the long drives and they were really fun to have as part of our family for the California adventure. They did complain just a tiny bit that Terry, my mom and I made them pose too often for photos.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: