Saturday, November 29, 2008

Our Thanksgiving 2008

Thanksgiving Day we invited the Bundy family, Matt, Colette, Nate, and Zane, and Nate's friend Derrick Mahn, and my mom and dad for dinner. I found some silverware on sale that I planned to use for a Christmas gift but instead I opened those so I could set the table with matching silverware for a change. I don't know how so many spoons and knives always go missing. I used my stoneware that I purchased before I got married and I almost never use for some reason, for our tableware. The stoneware is the "Williamsburg" pattern which I thought appropriate for Thanksgiving. I found tablecloths with a cut out leaf border along the edges and everything looked kind of nice. I think it may have been the first time Bundy's or any of our friends have visited our home for a meal that I haven't used paper plates. It surprised me how much I enjoyed having everything matching and looking nice. Terry spend Wednesday night fixing a special brine recipe to soak the turkey in. Dr. Lineberry shared it with him and we all decided that it was the most moist, best flavored turkey we have ever eaten. I love having more than one family for Thanksgiving. This way we got my mom's great pie crust, and sweet potatoes, my dad's rolls mmmmmm, Becca's extra flavored mashed potatoes and decorating, Colettes desserts, eggs, relish tray and favorite cranberry butter. It was truly a feast!!!!! We visited, played games, watched Get Smart movie and had a very nice day. It might have been a perfect day except I have and cold and sore throat and I didn't feel very good. I sure am thankful for our home. We had a room for football and room for everyone to sit at a table and even a little place for Aiden to watch his latest favorite movie "Wallace an Gromitt". I'm extremely thankful for family and friends!!!! Aiden of course was adorable and fun and a handful (he really fits the stereotype of an active 2 year old all boy ). We missed Rachel and John who were in Arizona where John is racing in a triathlon and visiting John's sister and of course I miss Kyle! Matt brought some German matziban (spelling?????) candy which honestly is not very tasty and some really cool German maps in honor of Kyle and I wouldn't let anyone eat until they wrote him a note. We have so much to be thankful for this year. ...The Savior and His Atonement, the Gospel, the blessings of a Church organization that has so many ways to care for people, a Prophet to help us with guidelines and information, the Priesthood, our good health (except for my cold and Chris diabetes) but still we have great health to be thankful for!!!!, the internet so I can hear from Kyle weekly and with current information, cars so my mom and dad, Becca, Jacob and Aiden could be at our home for thanksgiving, phones so I can talk with Rachel when she is not home. Terry's great job. Chris being home with us still and and such a great kid... .... and I am thankful for so many more things I would be typing all day. HAPPY THANKSGIVING 2008

This was actually our 2nd Thanksgiving because we got together for a great dinner and fun with the Littlefields when we were in Utah for Max's funeral. Everyone attended except for Kyle in Germany, Gage who was hunting and Hailey. The traditional Turkey, gravy, etc. was a little hard to get ready and transport to the church gym where we met for dinner but it all worked out. Our favorite activity after eating is a fun spin on dodge ball. If you get hit you sit until the ball comes to you or you touch another player. Usually the big guys actually win if we play long enough but even the little kids have a chance and can participate. Pretty fun. I loved seeing everyone and having time to visit and be together.

1 comment:

Xoxo Grandma said...

Debbie, great to hear about your holiday. I'm going to add airplanes to your list of gratitude items...which allows people like me to visit my family....and I know you like to travel too. What about blogs, I love these for catching up on the lives of our families and friends.
You can read about our time in DC on my kid's blogs http://yesitsnatural.blogspot.com/ or http://lorenaandrob.blogspot.com/